Saturday, January 9, 2010

Bring It On

I'm in my school's library on the Saturday before school restarts and of the three other people on campus, I'm the only one not getting paid to be here. I'm hoping my preparedness pays off and sets the tone for this last semester on campus. I've thought off and on about how hard it is that I have to trudge through all this internal medicine-themed training to get to anything surgically-related and some thoughts have finally congealed as I sit here alone in the library two days before I have to be back at school. Though I may not ultimately want to work in internal medicine, I do find it interesting and should let that interest take the forefront of my focus for now. This is the hoop I have to jump through to become a surgeon, so it's not like I'm putting my dreams on hold, rather, I'm doing exactly what is necessary to fulfill them. It has taken three full semesters to have this cohesive a view of my situation, and who knows whether it will have any effect on my thinking in the coming months, but I do keep getting better and better at this med school thing, so maybe this last lecture-based semester will be totally different (i.e., enjoyable). The fact that I only have one more semester before beginning the practical part of medical school is also a boon to my outlook on the near future.

Back to the books.

Scott

1 comment:

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Hi Scott...Jill Spriggs here. I love reading blogs and when your mom said you occasionally post something I asked for the link to your blog.

In order to take a class in Cultural Aspects of Food in my undergraduate work I had to take 6 units of chemistry, and 6 units of food preparation. I had to understand, for example, what was chemically happening when bread was made, and all the tools/techniques of basic kitchen hygene, time and money budgeting, and equipment care.

After that I was finally cleared to make Jewish Kugel, Italian Gnocci, and Mexican Hot Chocolate that peasants make. Sigh.

Hoops: They are EVERYWHERE. God bless you and your hoop hopping skills.