Saturday, January 23, 2010

January Newsletter. Last Semester: Off and Running

The semester started well. I got ahead on readings and had a positive outlook on how this last in-class semester would turn out. Extracurricular developments have taken place. Details be here, but suffice it to say, I now have a girlfriend. Her name is Liz and she's the librarian assistant at school. I'm pretty excited about the relationship - we have a lot in common and I feel comfortable and enjoy spending time with her.

I have a bit less time to devote to studies since I'm spending it with Liz, but, not wanting my studies to slip, I've been more motivated to hit the books. So I'm at a break-even or even a bit ahead as regards studying compared with last semester, and my mood is considerably cheerier having a lady friend, plus I have been through three semesters of being perpetually behind (and I am again somewhat behind), so I know I can do it.

My cheery mood did just get overshadowed, though, as our new dean has recently showed signs of being the micromanaging, "forsake all else in life and devote yourself to med school or I'll find some reason to kick you out of my school" type. When we started in August '08, there was a strong family and extra-curricular emphasis at the school, even more so than the norm for osteopathic schools, so most of the students will probably take exception to this stance. I'm hoping I can lie low enough not to get in any sort of trouble. We've weathered other political crossfire, and I try to comfort myself with that knowledge, but in the past we peons didn't get dragged into the fray. My biggest concerns for myself are any repercussions from my continuing struggle to stay diligent with studies and now my relationship with Liz in case Lord Dean decides it's too distracting for me. Anyway, one of my friends has an obstinately level head, so it's good to have him around as a steadying voice to somewhat counteract the frenzied rumor mill.

We knew things would be unsteady when we signed on, and we're seeing the manifestations of that and of just living in the adult world, so on we press.

Scott

2 comments:

Grammy Sue said...

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the invite to your 'private' blog! See mine at http://my-own-little-corner.blogspot.com/ Not as exciting as the life of a med student with a lady friend, but still a good way to stay in touch. Blessings, A. Sue

Trusted Servant said...

Hello Scott,
I was wondering when you'll be posting a photo of Liz? I hope you are doing well on this Wednesday. Love you, Mom