Monday, November 1, 2010

First Day of Psych

That's somewhat misleading, as I didn't really have any exposure to psychiatry today. My two classmates and I met with the HR lady, found out we hadn't been given all the paperwork we needed, waited for a doctor to come meet with us, and were given a tour of the facility. After that, they let us go home, to return tomorrow morning to work out schedules and remaining paperwork. Despite the logistic issues, I'm excited for this rotation. I have no desire to work in psychiatry and I'm rather nervous about interacting with patients, but I find behavioral health fascinating. That and my desire to get better at my interviewing skills should make this a really good month.

I spent a good portion of today looking into joining El Paso County Search and Rescue. After all my research, it looks like I won't be able to hack the time commitment for training with my unpredictable rotation schedule. Also, they basically expect you to stay on for at least several years, but I could only manage another year and a half before I start rotating out of state and eventually move to my residency, which will almost assuredly be out of state and definitely will not be in El Paso county. I wish I hadn't spent all that time looking into this instead of brushing up on psych or reading the volumes of regulations regarding the facility I'll be at. Though, it's good to know what to consider when I finally do have time in life to do this type of thing.

Somehow Mom found out that Grandma has been having belly discomfort; I called Grandma, got a brief history, and urged her to go to the ER if she doesn't improve. We're all hoping for the best here.

Scott

No comments: