Sunday, November 21, 2010

Psych is Going Quickly

I just realized with glee the other day that I'm already 3/4 done with this rotation. Then I realized that I've been enjoying it and I'll be somewhat sad to move on. I typically have about a 2-week limit on rotations before they become drudgery, but for psych I've held out this long. Surprisingly, along the way, psychiatry has moved up my ranking of specialties. It's still not at the top, but I would actually consider doing it in an inpatient setting if surgery didn't work out.
Speaking of surgery not working out, I've been in some denial about a tremor I developed this past spring. It started off barely noticeable for an hour or two in the morning, but it's gradually become worse. It's such a slow progression I keep hoping it's plateaued, but I'm not sure. In any case, my psych rotation has somehow made me able to accept the thought of life without surgery and I've been thinking of other specialties I would enjoy. As mentioned, psych is at least on the table, but I'm leaning toward pathology and maybe radiology, both of which require little interaction with people. Ironically, one of the therapists at the hospital says I'm too personable to be a surgeon (and I suppose by extension, a pathologist or radiologist), but the thing is, being personable is not natural to me and it's very draining. Perhaps I should get this tremor checked out, but mumble, mumble, mumble, mumble. I'd probably just get put on a beta-blocker, anyway.


I'll post more case presentations as the week progresses.


Scott

2 comments:

Chris said...

I'd always quite liked the idea of Psych, there's so much interesting stuff in there. Not sure if I could do it as a speciality though, I'd have to see how tedious it became over time, (I always thought it might be one of those where things can get repetitive) though this post suggests maybe it doesn't :)

Scott said...

Chris , I understand the worry about repetition. A flaw of mine is that following up with the same patient over and over gets so tedious. It's been helping to rotate in an inpatient setting this month.