Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Preliminary November Newsletter

Sorry, I got distracted at the end of November and today Internal Medicine hit hard with a lot of studying to do for tomorrow. This should be a difficult, but hopefully informative, month. There is much to learn and it's not at all focused, so it'll be a challenge for me.

Psychiatry was great. My interest didn't make a big decline until near the end, versus other rotations, in which I started getting antsy and ready to move on by the end of the second week. My only disappointment with Psych was the lack of interaction with psychotic patients. I saw one adult who seemed to be hearing voices but wouldn't admit it and was quite on edge. Also, there was an adolescent who came to the acute unit from the residential area of the hospital who had been gradually becoming more grandiose and unrealistic with the stories he would tell. For example, he apparently was dead lifting 300 lbs the weekend before coming to acute and tore muscles in his neck and chest and ruptured some blood vessels in his head, causing him to pass out and be rushed to the emergency room. He said this incident is why he was wearing a sling; I never really got a good feel for what parts of his stories were legit, exaggerated, or plain made up. He was pleasant enough to talk to, though.

A classmate and I will be working with the same doctor this month. Thankfully, this is a classmate with whom I enjoy spending time, so it should be a good month being able to confer and just chat with him.
I think the thoroughness and regularity of my posts will be inversely proportional this month (as I mentioned last month, I'll try to post a couple times per week and I'll sum up in the monthly newsletter, but I only send notices of the newsletters).

Scott

No comments: