Tuesday, April 12, 2011

OB/GYN Week 2

Today I helped with the tubal ligation of a one-and-done 22-year-old and the delivery of the baby of a 40-year-old who is willing to have yet a third kid if menopause doesn't get her first. Whenever I think I've acquired a sense of how varied people's views are, I get thrown another curveball.

I have been enjoying OB/GYN quite a bit. I am getting a good amount of hands-on experience. The doctors I'm working with are a married couple. Only one of the husband's patients has declined to have a male student in the room, while over half of the wife's patients have declined. We figure many of her patients sought out a female doc specifically, so more of them would have issues with a male being part of their exam. I personally am less concerned with such things in regard to my health care, which I assumed applied to males in general. However, one of my female classmates, who's working with a male doc, is asked to sit out of most men's hernia checks, so maybe men are just as sensitive about personal matters as women.

Time for bed. I'll hopefully see a twin C-section tomorrow.

Scott

2 comments:

Jeremiah said...

I love how you psychologically approach your work. It is entertaining and informative. :-D

Anonymous said...

In my own life experience - there have been times when having a male student in the room during my exam would not have been acceptable (or even doing the exam), yet there are other times that I don't think I would have minded. So to throw you another curveball - same person different times different decissions. Love you, Mom