Tuesday, April 26, 2011

OB/GYN Week 4

I met a patient today who described herself as "delayed." It took me at least 5 tries to ask her if her periods are regular. Note to self: if a patient doesn't understand a question the first two times, maybe try wording it differently the third time (roll eyes at self). I've been listening to Audio Digest's OB/GYN series of lectures and one from '09 highlights some medical-legal issues, one of which is lack of patient understanding. The lecturer, a former nurse, now lawyer, mentioned an AMA study in which the researchers video recorded patient/doctor interactions, then separately interviewed patients about what they were just told by the doctor. Appatently, a surprisingly high percentage had failed to understand key components of the interaction, and they weren't all the type of patient you would expect to be "delayed," and may have seemed to comprehend perfectly. Illiteracy rates are higher than we may expect and patients will not usually be as open about it as my "delayed" patient today. The lecturer mentioned not using medical words with patients, which they have taught us from day one in med school, but being indoctrinated into the medical community, one loses one's sense of which words are common lay terms and which are medical jargon. "Appreciate" no longer refers to having a feeling of gratitude, but instead to noticing a significant finding. "Anorexia" does not necessarily conjure images of emaciated teens with anorexia nervosa, but simply indicates a loss of appetite. Are abdomen, neoplasia, laceration, analgesic used in common parlance? I just don't know anymore. Before I get too tangential, I'll sign off for the night. If I get around to posting before my next newsletter, I'll try to include more case-based info next time.

Scott

No comments: