Monday, April 4, 2011

Peds Wrapup and Start of OB/GYN

I enjoyed Peds a lot more than I anticipated. I thought it would be too hard for me to figure out how to communicate with the kids and I was afraid of all the crazy parents people talk about. I figured out quickly you can't direct all your attention at the little kids; it's hard to describe, but you almost talk to the little ones as if they're a side thought while you're busy with the exam or doing somehing else, otherwise they'll get all self conscious and shy. As for the parents, there was only one mom I really had any issues with. She was polite, but you could tell if I didn't stop what I was doing, she was coming across the table at me. This brings up a good point, because I was doing exactly what I should (would you expect otherwise?) but she had received poorly-explained child care directions from another doc, and she was being a very concientious parent (neurotically so) trying to follow those directions. If the other doc had taken the time to explain better, she would have had a better idea of good child care and it would have saved her and me some frustration. Also, I've seen that by far the most common avoidable cause of patient anger is poor communication. Explain to your patients what's going on and why - they'll think you're at least ten times as competent as you really are and will love you forever. Not to mention they're less likely to sue you should something untoward happen.

I just had my first day of OB/GYN today, and let me tell you I'm so glad I don't have to force a softball out of my genitalia. Even with an epidural, it's a lot of hard work and pain. It was nice getting to see a C-section and two vaginal deliveries on my first day. It should only be another day or two and I'll be catching the kids as they pop out.

Scott

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Scott! 26 years old and catching flying small humans as they enter the earth's atmosphere without being surrounded by a magnificent life support system. I hope you wear your non-slip gloves - these little creatures can explode out of their hybernation chamber and they are so slimy! Love you, Mom

Scott said...

Jeremiah said...

"Explain to your patients what's going on and why - they'll think you're at least ten times as competent as you really are and will love you forever." I guess it is not just true about politics. :-) Keep up the good work!

Scott said...
Sorry, Jeremiah, there was a snafu with your comment. I'm glad there are people like you to deal with the politicians - they're totally out of my depth.

Internal Optimist said...

Glad that you are enjoying obs/gynae so far, keep us updated :)